Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Summer school of 9 hours and the drought are over. I survived both; I learned because of both. You might know this would be the year we plowed up our field and grew a coop garden. Choices were forced on me that I did not want to make. Do I give up having beautiful flower gardens that have been part of my life for the past 26 years, or do I give the water to the vegetable garden that will put food on the table this winter. Confident that time and resources were not going to be an issue, and against my husbands advice, the garden went in and won the bulk of the water. The flowers suffered and many died. Would I have done it if I had known the sacrifices involved? I don't think so. Have I enjoyed the fresh produce? Totally. Will I grow another enormous vegetable garden next year? The money has already been spent for the materials which are now sitting and ready for another season. The answer is yes. If we have another drought next year...that may be the end. Time will tell. I'm praying for a summer of Camelot. Lovely by day and gentle showers by night...only in Camelot.

No comments:

Post a Comment